June 21, 2013

Week 25 - A little of this and a little of that...

Printable Version of Meal Plan and Grocery List

We were away on the weekend so I had planned to pick up just enough food to get us through Monday and then go for the main order Monday night.  But at the last minute I threw together a really quick meal plan and did a whole grocery order on Sunday.  I was able to make do with the food I bought but found I made a lot of adjustments to the plan this week, just to suit my taste buds and mood with the sun finally shining!!!  Could it really be??  Summer??

Recipe Quick Links

 

Week in Review


Monday

Lunch - Ham, Havarti & Triscuit "Lunchable" with Veggies & Ranch Dip.  Feels like it's been awhile since I've made this type of lunch.  It was the perfect no-cook meal to throw together after being away for the weekend.

Supper - Salmon & Cauliflower Rice.  I've been seeing recipes for cauliflower rice everywhere lately and was pretty curious.  I've mashed, steamed and roasted cauliflower, I've tried the cauliflower pizza crust (really good!) and just like cauliflower in general so I was actually a tad disappointed with this recipe.  I might not have cooked the onions enough and I don't think I got the right consistency with the cauliflower either - it ended up being more of a puree as she cautions.  I also skipped the sumac because I was actually following a very similar Chatelaine version of this recipe.  The salmon was good though.  I just seasoned with salt, pepper and a spritz of lemon and then baked it in the oven at 375 until done.  I really enjoy salmon so sometimes find less is more.  Marin gobbles up fish too, it's always an easy sell.  I remember not liking fish as a kid so hopefully that doesn't change.

Tuesday

Breakfast - Overnight Oats!!!   I'm finding that opening the fridge in the morning to find a jar of this yumminess waiting for me is the perfect start to the day!  I'm hoping it's going to start motivating me to get up at 5:30 for run!


Overnight Oats
 
Lunch - Salmon Fishcakes & Kale Salad.  I had this Kale Salad on the menu for later in the week but it was on my mind since I watched Jackie's video tutorial over at Marin Mama Cooks so I just couldn't wait and bumped it up.  Go watch the video... I've made this salad a few times now and really love it but realized I wasn't massaging my kale enough.  Unfortunately around here you have to take what you can get with Kale and this week it wasn't the best but I still really enjoyed the salad.  Then I turned my leftover salmon into super easy fishcakes... I didn't follow a recipe.  The Bachelorette was on and I needed to get lunch made fast!  I mashed potatoes, added some of the leftover cauliflower rice & salmon, an egg, breadcrumbs, dill... measured nothing.  Formed them into patties, coated them in panko and fried them up.  If you're more of a recipe follower I have my favorite fishcake recipe typed out in the "Patty Cake" week.

Supper - Honey Soy Chicken Burgers with Asian Slaw.  This was a bit of a recipe shuffle too.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day so a barbecue was a must and burgers were on my mind.  I marinated the chicken cutlets and cooked them on the barbecue (well, Dave actually did that step).  Then served them up on toasted English Muffins with that yummy Peanut Dipping Sauce from last week.  I would have liked to have added lettuce and tomato but I wasn't planning on burgers so I didn't have any.  On the side I made the Weelicious Chinese Chicken Salad, without the chicken.

Wednesday

Lunch - Chinese Chicken Salad.  I chopped up the leftover chicken and threw it on the leftover Asian Slaw.  Easy.  Which freed up my evening on Tuesday to enjoy the sunshine!  Of course what I did instead was clean out the upstairs closet and a heavy box fell on my head... luckily I escaped with just a very minor injury!  I take this as a sign that I should clean less and cook more!  By the way... this chicken was delicious cold the next day!  I actually preferred this meal as leftovers.

Supper - Breaded Pork Chops with Veggies and Dip.  These pork chops are quick, easy and tasty too.  I had planned on roasted veggies but I got home late and was short on time so we had raw veggies and dip instead.   And for dessert - Chocolate Avocado Pudding.  Decadent!

Thursday

Lunch - 7 Grain Pilaf and Orange Salad.  I've made this before and I'll make it again!  The feta, the nuts, the fruit... mmm, mmm, mmm.  I was low on grains so I made this with all quinoa.  Bulgar would have added a nice texture.


Quinoa and Orange Salad
    
Supper - Chickpea Burgers & Greek Salad.  More from Marin Mama... sometimes I feel like her stalker but I get lost in her blog and have loved all the recipes I've tried.  This is at least my third batch of these burgers... so tasty!  And since we greeked them up with the Tzatziki I served them with a side of Greek salad.  I was actually wanting some lemon roasted potatoes but it was too warm to turn the oven on for 45 minutes. 

Friday

Lunch - Chickpea Burgers & Kale Salad.  Leftover Friday!

Supper - Spaghetti & Meatballs.  I'm getting the plan out early today because we're having Dave's family over for Spaghetti tonight.  This was a staple in thier house so we're looking forward to the feast.  Dave was making the meatballs this morning, I'm tossing up a big Caesar salad... some garlic bread and a DQ Ice Cream cake to celebrate all the June birthday's (2 brothers & 2 nephews).  It looks like the weather is going to cooperate so we can sit outside and maybe fit in a few games of Bocce and Washers too!

Happy weekend everyone!

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment