December 20, 2013

Week 50 - The Everyday Salad

PDF Version of Meal Plan

This week turned out much like last week.  We had Christmas lunches and suppers and really just didn't need a complicated menu.  I pulled out the slow cooker and we did three recipes in it, all of which provided multiple meals.  So not a lot of time was spent in the kitchen this week.  Kind of felt like I had the week off.   Merry Christmas to me!


Recipe Quick Links:


Spaghetti & Meatballs, Dave's family recipe
Walnut Crusted Salmon, Taste of Home
Asian Noodle Salad, AllRecipes.com
Quinoa Salad, Zoe Cuisine
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken, Budget Bytes
Easy Overnight Oats, Marin Mama Cooks
Almond Milk, Oh She Glows
Tortillas, 100 Days of Real Food
Zucchini Muffins, Weelicious


Spotlight on...


Our Favorite Everyday Salad





It all started with Marin Mama Cooks Lacinato Kale Salad.   Then it got adapted a bit when we were introduced to a simple arugula salad this summer.  Basically we've been eating this salad, with slight variations, for months now.... almost daily.  The funny thing is that when I first ate it I thought is was good for sure but wouldn't have raved about it.  But it was easy so I kept making it.  Now it's turned into almost an addiction and I literally crave it.  In fact, I'm writing this post at 9:30pm and I just polished off a bowl for an evening snack.  So even if you don't see it on the menu, chances are we ate it at that day anyway.  Marin loves it too, if she sees me eating a bowl she'll ask me to make her one too.  The best part... it's the easiest thing ever!  Every week I buy arugula and kale and I've been pre-washing and de-stemming the kale in advance ever since I read this tip from Marin Mama Cooks.  It's such a great time-saver through the week!  Here's the salad "formula":

Start with greens - either Arugula, Kale or a mix of both.
Drizzle with Olive Oil.  If using Kale massage the oil into the leaves (ie.  get right in there with your hands and really work the oil in).  
Squeeze the juice from half a lemon over the greens.
Top with salt, pepper, shaved Parmesan or Vegan Parmesan 'Cheeze'.
Toss. 

So simple, so delicious!


Enjoy!

Sandra


No comments:

Post a Comment